How to Talk to Your Angels
Yep! Surprise! EVERYONE has angels. Some call them "guides", or "guardian angels"—but everyone has them, including you.
Our angels are always with us, regardless of whether we know it or not, or or even believe in them or not. They knew you before you were even born, and they're here to help you and guide you. I personally talk to my angels every day, and ask for their guidance. The trick to receiving their help is asking. We have to ask them for help because of free will. Free will is a big deal for them (and us!). Our angels can't force us to do anything, nor will they intervene or assist us without our permission. So it's important to ask for their help if you need it. Asking for their help is what allows them to be able to help.
But back to talking to angels...
You can have conversations with your angels practically anywhere. It's just a matter of learning how to listen to them. You see, unlike people, angels are divine beings of light and love. They are perfect entities, and therefore only see you in God's loving light. It's pretty rare (even in the bible) for an angel to make a physical appearance. This is again, because of free will. We have to choose to believe in them. We have to choose to listen to them. So they communicate in a different way than a person would talk to another person. In a moment I will go into detail on how to listen to them, but first, it's important to know some quick facts about what they really are...
What are our angels?
Like I said, our angels are perfect, divine beings of God. The etymology of the word "angel" literally means "messenger"—they were created for the purposes of serving as God's messengers and helping us. What modern portrayals of angels in movies and TV shows tend to get wrong is that angels are not human. They're beings made of love. They don't sin or make mistakes, and they love us unconditionally. Their existence is always aligned with the will of God, because they were created as the bridge between your soul and Him.
Here are some quick facts about angels:
- Angels are with you regardless of your religion or beliefs. This may be hard for some to get behind, but God loves us all unconditionally, and has sent angels to help us regardless of whether or not we believe in Him, someone else, or anyone at all.
- They are tireless. Because they are perfect creatures that exist outside of the limitations of space and time, they don't run out of energy like we do.
- Your angels love you and always want to help you. Always.
- Because they're perfect and love you unconditionally, they never get angry or mad at you. They will always encourage you to do better because they love you and want to see you being your best self (because that is aligned with the nature of God), but they won't ever get mad at you.
- Before you were born, you were quite close to your angels. They agreed to help you and guide you when you chose to come into this world. They are perfect, divine beings.
- Angels are the very definition of patience. They will wait to deliver divine messages slowly, patiently and at the right time. They won't get frustrated or irritated if you ask questions over and over again.
- They are designed to help. They never get frustrated with you. It serves the purpose of their existence for you to ask for their help. They never get tired of helping you. You could ask for their help every moment of every day for the rest of your life and it would never tire them out.
- Helping you is never "unimportant" to them. This was a big one for me to learn. I thought that asking them for help on "minor" or "trivial" things was bad. It turns out, they always want to help—with tasks both big and small.
Types of Angels
Depending on the religious doctrine you look at, some scriptures claim there are more than 100 million angels, other doctrines state there are more than all humanity that has ever existed. My thoughts? I think there's a lot. The point is, we won't run out of angels.
Either way, even though there is indeed a large, possibly infinite number of angels, what we need to know is how to ask for their help. There are specific angels—named angels in particular—that are known to help with specific needs. Not to say these are the only known named angels, but they are important because they have been named in the Bible or other religious docterine.
Angels have different ranks, too. Many texts speak of angel ranks with rank names such as seraphim, cherubim, dominion, etc...but for the purpose of this blog post, we will discuss archangels in particular.
Archangels are special angels that can be omnipresent. They are some of the few angels that can stand in the presence of God, and they also oversee the guardian angels. They are tireless, and designed to help us with specific tasks. They are also genderless (because they are beings above gender), and neither male nor female. However, you'll notice I use "he" or "she" because they may be associated with a masculine or feminine task. There is a debate on who "is" an archangel and who "isn't", but for practical purposes I will list some of the major archangels and what they are associated with:
- Archangel Michael—"Who is like God" One of the "big 4" (recognized as an archangel in the Abrahamic Religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). In the bible, Archangel Michael is the one who drove Satan and the fallen angels out of heaven. He is the archangel of perfect, divine protection. Call upon him and ask for his help to assist you in feeling safe, protected and out of harm's way. He is also the archangel of cutting cords (empathic or otherwise) and for purification. I call upon Archangel Michael when I need some extra protection, and when I need to empathically block/disassociate from the people I've energetically and physically come into contact with that day. He is also the patron saint for police officers.
- Archangel Gabriel—"God's Strength" Also one of the "big 4". Gabriel is the angel in the bible that came to Mary to let her know she was carrying the son of God. Archangel Gabriel (or Gabrielle) is the quintessential messenger angel, and associated with the arts including poetry, music, writing and the visual arts. Gabriel is also an angel associated with both the perfect strength of God and the divine feminine—I know a few practitioners that see Archangel Gabriel as a female. I see him as sometimes both, depending on the circumstances. Call upon Archangel Gabriel for strength, creativity (such as inspiration for painting, music or writing), getting in touch with your inner feminine, children, pregnancy and conceiving.
- Archangel Raphael—"God Heals" Also one of the "big 4". Raphael is the archangel of health and soulmate relationships. Call upon Archangel Raphael for any and all types of health issues. I have personally worked with Archangel Raphael in healing deafness issues in a friend's ear. He is great for healing all types of issues—energetic, emotional, mental and physical. I see Archangel Raphael a lot with healers, nurses and doctors. He comes through a lot with reiki. Archangel Raphael will also help you with your romance relationships. Call upon his help with healing and strengthening your relationships with others. He is also good with protecting travelers.
- Archangel Uriel—"Light of God". Also one of the "big 4". Archangel Uriel is the archangel of God's knowledge and can help you find solutions. Archangel Uriel helps with finding that "ah-ha" moment and any intellectual issues. He is also the archangel of communication. I heavily associate Archangel Uriel with claircognizance (clear knowing). Archangel Uriel will help you solve problems, think clearly and focus.
- Archangel Chamuel—"One who sees God". Chamuel is the archangel of finding things. Ask Archangel Chamuel for help in locating things such as something you've lost, a part of your life you feel is missing, and even a new job. Archangel Chamuel helps you find the missing piece of the puzzle in your life.
- Archangel Haniel—"Grace of God". Call upon Archangel Haniel when you need to be graceful with a situation, and when you need to channel God's grace. She will help you find grace, balance and harmony in situations.
- Archangel Jeremiel—"Mercy of God". Call upon Archangel Jeremiel to help forgive others. He is also an angel for finding and keeping to your spiritual path. Ask Archangel Jeremiel for help and guidance along your spiritual journey.
- Archangel Jophiel—"Beauty of God". Call upon Archangel Jophiel to help you see the beauty and positivity in life. She is the archangel to call upon when starting an artistic project, keeping the world beautiful and clean, and clearing out energies that would hinder the beauty in different aspects of your life.
- Archangel Metatron—"A measurer". Archangel Metatron is God's record-keeper, and the archangel of time. He is one of the two archangels that were initially human (he was the prophet Enoch). He helps with being better at time management, and also assists in dealing with children and relationships with children.
- Archangel Raguel—"Friend of God". Call upon Archangel Raguel for help with issues regarding fairness and feeling manipulated. Archangel Raguel will help you balance out these issues and find the just way to solve the problem harmoniously.
- Archangel Raziel—"Secrets of God". Call upon Archangel Raziel for help regarding mysticism and esotericism. He can also help you interpret your dreams and manifest things through alchemy.
- Archangel Sandalphon—"Brother". He is one of the two archangels that were initially human (he was the prophet Elijah). Archangel Sandalphon is an archangel that assists with both issues of the heart and helps Archangel Michael clear away negativity, especially with music. Call upon Archangel Sandalphon to help with healing heart/emotional issues, and with music therapy.
Talking to Angels
This is the easy part. Your angels are always around you. They can hear your thoughts just as clearly as they can hear your words. So just talk to them! It doesn't have to be formal—talk to them like they are your friends, because they are. Just don't make the mistake of praying to them. The angels do not want you to pray to them—they want you to pray to God, and ask for their help. Also, make sure you are being sincere with your request and that it's genuine. Tell them your fears, concerns, hopes and dreams. It may feel awkward talking to these wonderful, invisible divine beings at first, but once you get used to learning how to listen, you will be open to feeling their presence.
When you're talking to your angels, make sure your ego is in check. There's a reason that people don't get a big bag of money or win the lottery every time they ask for it. The money isn't the issue—it's how they see their relationship with money in their life. So don't ask for lottery numbers when you have financial struggles—ask for guidance and wisdom instead, because that's what you really need. You need a solution, don't tell them how to make it. Trust God knows (and will provide for you) the best solution.
Listening to Angels
This is the real challenge (and lesson!), as with other metaphysical phenomenon, it's about getting out of your own way. Angels will always be peaceful and positive with their messages. They're there to calm you down and lift you up and help you. It's our egos we have to be cautious of. The ego is fear-based and pride-based. Any "messages" you feel you are receiving from egoic emotional frequencies are not from angels.
Since angels don't just appear in front of us on a regular basis to physically respond to our requests (because that would be messing around with free will), angels communicate to us through our metaphysical senses—the "claires". These senses, unlike the physical senses, are all spiritually-based. This includes feeling things (clairsentience), epiphanies and just "knowing" things (claircognizance), seeing things either physically or with your mind's eye (clairvoyance), or even hearing disembodied voices or words in your head (clairaudience).
It can be difficult trying to discern the messages that are from your angels, versus an illusion created by the ego. So, I've created a list below of sensations that are angel-based, versus ego-based:
- Feel warm, inviting and calming
- You feel as if a part of you knew the message all along
- You feel it's "real"
- You might hear ringing in your ears
- It makes you feel at peace
- You feel like everything is going to be alright
- It energizes you
- You see a flash of light, or colored lights
- You get excited about the message
- The message is simple and encouraging
- You are at peace, even briefly, after receiving the message
- The message is consistent and clear
- The message is non-judgemental
- The message helps you understand how you can improve and/or help others
Ego-based sensations that aren't angelic communications
It feels panicky
It incites fear
- It doesn't make sense
- It placates your ego
- It feels grandiose
- It's inconsistent
- It feels like you're being harassed, humiliated or taunted
- It's sarcastic
- The message is convoluted
- It encourages self-destructive behavior
Getting good at hearing your angels takes time. Be patient with yourself, and see it as a new muscle you're trying to strengthen. It doesn't always happen overnight. Use this as an opportunity to build a relationship with your angels, and to learn about your own intuition.