Time flies when you're having fun.
I honestly can't believe it's only been a year since I started doing psychic readings. Time really does fly by when you're having fun.
It all started when I called Gloria Parker. I saw a Facebook ad advertising her facility for rent and for a monthly fair (the Big Psychic Fair). I felt inexplicably drawn to the place and she sounded like a nice person.
I decided one weekend to check out her psychic fair. Man the energy was intense! The place was very busy and filled with psychics. As someone who comes from suburban Alabama this was new, a little foreign but very exciting for me. I chose to get a reading from a guy upstairs who threw shells. As I walked upstairs I got a strong feeling in the pit of my stomach, as if this place had some sort of significance for me. What kind of significance I couldn't say—but that moment, that place felt important.
I sat down for my reading, not knowing what to expect. The guy's name was Akinade. Cool dude. Very laid back. His demeanor calmed my nerves. I can't remember the specifics of the reading, but I remember the result: stop waiting for permission to be psychic, and just do it.
So as any true Aries would, I went downstairs and asked Gloria point blank if I could do readings at her fairs. I knew how to read tarot cards and wanted to try it out. She sized me up and said, "sure honey". So I decided to participate in her fair for the first time in April of 2016. The days between that fair and the next were so agonizing. As a strategist I tried so hard to re-memorize every tarot card and plan for everything I might need.
In spite of all of my planning, when my first client sat down in front of me at the April fair, I was almost terrified. But I managed to give her the message she needed. Every reading after that was a bit easier. Now—it feels like second-nature.
So, even though nothing can really 100% prepare you when you strike out on your own as a psychic—I've decided to come up with a (somewhat satirical) list for those interested. Some of it is funny, some of it a bit weird, but mostly, I've learned so much about myself and who I am supposed to be in this world.
- Everybody's psychic. I even wrote a blog post on it. Psychics aren't special little starfish. If you're drawn to metaphysics in one way or another, it's meant to be in your life. Everybody can be a psychic. Everybody can be a medium.
- Ethics, ethics, ethics! I thought it was obvious and easy to determine right from wrong, black from white. It's not. Free will everything in this world, and one must always check themselves to make sure they're ethical and moral in their practice. Otherwise, Karma is a bitch.
- Thou shalt not bitch about specific clients.
- Thou shalt not have stinky breath in a reading.
- Thou shalt not let clients know third-party information unless it's about children in their care or immediate issues with their spouses.
- It's OK to turn clients away. This was a biggie and a hard one to learn. Just because they want you to read them, doesn't mean you should. You have a right to say no. Same goes for answering certain questions. Just because they ask, doesn't mean they're entitled to an answer. I don't care if you're paying me or not. I'm not going to go against my morals or ethics to answer a question with bad energy.
- Psychics don't (and shouldn't) compete. The people you're meant to help are drawn to you and your energetic frequency.
- On that note, don't compare you to another person—especially a psychic—in regards to success. Everybody has a different path, and different timing. Nobody is "late" for what they're supposed to do in life.
- Humility breeds virtue. The more I work on my abilities and my spirituality, the more I realize I don't know jack.
- Chasing the money will chase it away. Stop worrying about the income and it will flow naturally. Success with the career starts with success in honing one's craft.
- If you're meant to be psychic or increase your abilities, it WILL find you. You won't have to do much searching. It found me. It will find you too if you let go of fear.
- Everything—and I mean everything—is energy. Thoughts, feelings, events, circumstances, money, people, you name it. It all starts in the spiritual realm and then slowly falls down to manifest in the physical. That's the best way I can describe it.
- It is easier to read other people than it is to read myself.
- Psychics don't know everything. But they usually know when you're lying to them—and also probably your daddy issues.
- I have yet to find the secret to the meaning of the universe, but I have found the secret to the meaning of life. It is this: Basically, don't be a dick.
- No, I'm not going to read your mind. But I know a few people who can.
- No, I'm not going to read you—or your family—for free.
- A good psychic will help empower you in a reading. A bad psychic will try to scare you.
- There is a fine line between crazy and psychic. Psychics learned how to discipline the voices in their heads before they ended up schizophrenic. Also pretty sure schizophrenics are psychics who lost control over their abilities.
- 100% of the time it runs in the family.
- There's no such thing as a bad reading. The quality of the reading largely depends on how much the client is willing to listen.
- I became better at reading tarot cards when I stopped obsessing over the meaning of the cards and started listening to my guides.
- Mediumship isn't nearly as scary as I had originally imagined. There really isn't anything scary about it at all. It's just people. That's it.
- With practice, every psychic can be as powerful as the next. Elitism serves nobody. True abilities lies in confidence balanced with humility.
- I don't think hell exists. I used to, though. Grew up Pentecostal even. But as I give more and more mediumship readings, I am starting to have a better grasp of the afterlife. I see on occasion some people go to a "decompression" area that reminds me of Purgatory—but for the most part, everyone goes to heaven. Most even try to come back to help on the other side.
- Karma is a bitch and she's especially picky with psychics/spiritualists/anyone who practices conscious energy manipulation. The more you advance spiritually, the more you must be in line with morals, ethics and virtues. You can't get away with 'nuthin.
- Don't discount or belittle another's spiritual experiences. What may be huge for them may not be a big deal for you—but respect their experiences anyways, because the reverse can also just as easily be true.
- There's a reason Patrick Stewart and Keith Richards look the way they do. We wear our karma on our faces. The nicer you are the more gracefully you (especially your face) age. The more ethical, kind, humble and moral you are, the more your body will gracefully age. The opposite is also true. Wanna get wrinkles on your face really fast? Jude people and talk about them behind their back. Wanna get the body of a 90 year old? Push people to do things they don't want to do (manipulation, coercion or whatever).
- You must give energy to indraw energy.
- Everyone has angels. Regardless of religion.
- My connection to God, my angels, Jesus, and my guides has only increased exponentially since I began pursuing my spiritual path.
- You are loved in such a deep and unfathomable way on the other side, that your human body cannot comprehend it. There is a God. He loves us, and He wants us to love ourselves and love each other.
- Heaven is real.